Friday, May 26, 2006

Protect your network.

Another quickie...

For some reason my DSL is acting screwy. How am I able to post this, you ask? I may be borrowing the bandwidth from one of my neighbors that may have an open access point. That means that they have a wireless network that is sitting wide open for anyone to see. Like possibly me. ;)

In theory, it took me about 30 seconds to access this...



That could be their cable modem setup page. With some more playing around I'm sure that I could get into their router setup. That is VERY BAD. I could theoretically lock them out of their own router. OR open up a port and set up a server to serve what ever I want to.

Read your manual. Learn how to set up at least WEP encryption. It's basic, easy to crack, but it will keep the casual freeloader off of your network.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bite Me said...

It would be tough to access the "Choad" network in the BM househole, wep encrypted, just don't do network setup while drinking. :-)

9:36 AM  
Blogger Bite Me said...

I was trying to say household, but I like househole better anyway. ;-)

9:38 AM  
Blogger BP said...

Househole sounds dirty. LOL!

BTW, nice profile pic!

8:36 PM  
Blogger MG said...

Rejoined the real world huh?

9:09 AM  
Blogger BP said...

LOL! Yep.

I've been working my ass off. And I'm actually happy about it for a change.

I've meant to blog the last couple of days, but filling out all of the insurance/401k stuff is taking FOREVER. I'm finishing it up tonight.

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home